unique 唯一的; 独一无二的
the South Pole 南极
sea level 海平面; 海面; 潮位
misconceptions 错觉; 错误印象
【Q & A】
1. Arktikos means:
A. Of the North
B. Opposite of North
C. Penguin friendly
D. Polar Bear
2. What is unique about the South Pole?
A. It's a continent surrounded by ocean
B. It has penguins
C. There are no polar bears there
D. All of the above
3. How deep is the water at the North Pole?
A. 9,980 feet / 1.26 km
B. 19,999 feet / 6.26 km
C. 13,980 feet / 4.26 km
D. 10,000 feet / 2.22 km
4. At least 98% of Antarctica is covered in ice at least one mile in thickness.
5. What's the story with snow in Antarctica?
A. It snows about 1 foot every single day
B. It snows 3 meters a day
C. There is no precipitation on Antarctica
D. There is only an annual precipitation of 200 mm (8 inches)
6. Most of Antarctica is 3 km (2 miles) above sea level. What does this mean?
A. It's higher than any other continent
B. It's cold -- temperature decreases with elevation
C. It's where the world gets it's ice supply
D. Both A and B
7. List 3 differences in the poles.
8. Why is the south colder than the north?
What were some misconceptions you had about the poles?